As the year 2019 is almost finished, it’s the time of the year to take a step back and reflect on last year’s achievements—and begin planning your learning path for next year.
“The way I measure my life is – Am I better than I was last year?” – Satya Nadella
Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) is the new Azure kid on the block in the year 2019. Since it’s GA release on the 30th of September, the interest and popularity have been massive. Due to the popularity, I thought it’d be useful to share some of the free available learning content.
I hope the links in this article help you kickstart (or progress) your Windows Virtual Desktop implementation in 2020! Happy (new year) learning! 🙂
Disclaimer: All the material posted in this article is free! Do you have other good free materials? Feel free to post it in the comment section below.
Microsoft Learn is a completely free structured learning experience as part of Microsoft Docs. Microsoft Docs is to absorbed content in a more search and navigate manner than learn–mostly based on free videos and multiple-choice type of content.
The good news is that not so long ago–a very comprehensive new video series on Windows Virtual Desktop is added to learn and—test knowledge check yourself.
- Deliver remote desktops and apps from Azure with Windows Virtual Desktop
- Introduction to Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Prepare for Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Provision an Azure tenant and set up Azure Active Directory
- Deploy Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Review how to deploy Windows Virtual Desktop
Microsoft Docs is the technical library of documentation for end-users, developers, and IT professionals who work with Microsoft products. Learn here in a walkthrough manner how to install and configure Windows Virtual Desktop.
- What is Windows Virtual Desktop?
- Storage options for FSLogix profile containers in Windows Virtual Desktop
- Set up MSIX app attach
- Windows Virtual Desktop partner integrations
- Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session FAQ
- Azure Pricing Calculator for WVD
- Windows Virtual Desktop Experience Estimator
- Find the rest of the WVD – Microsoft Docs documentation here.
Microsoft Mechanics is Microsoft’s official video series for IT Pros. Watch & share valuable content and demos from the people who build it–all freely available from YouTube.
The videos have a high focus on demos, how-to’s and insights for Microsoft 365, Azure, Office, Windows, Surface and quantum computing–and as part of continuously added new series, Jeremy Chapman and the WVD Engineering group created a complete Windows Virtual Desktop Essentials (video) how-to series.
- Windows Virtual Desktop Essentials | Intro and full tour
- Windows Virtual Desktop on Azure | (GA) Released
- Windows Virtual Desktop | upcoming admin experience + recent updates (Microsoft Ignite)
Microsoft Tech Community
The Microsoft Tech Community is a place to interact with IT Pros, Developers and end-users along with Microsoft. The focus of the site was initially on Office 365 but now encompasses Azure, Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) and many other–like Windows Virtual Desktop–Microsoft technologies. A great success.
- Accelerate your RDS and VDI migration to Windows Virtual Desktop
- A guide to Windows Virtual Desktop at Microsoft Ignite 2019
- Getting started with FSLogix profile containers on Azure Files in Windows Virtual Desktop
- Getting started with Windows Virtual Desktop
The Azure Academy YouTube channel is created by fellow Microsoft colleague Dean Cefola–from the Azure FastTrack team. In his channel, he shares his deep-dive field experiences and best practices on Azure services for free–how awesome is that?
I also like the stuff he created–because it’s technology-driven, which I like. Dean recently started with a completely new series on how to Deploy, Manage and Maintain Windows Virtual Desktop. Make sure to follow his YouTube channel.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #1 – Deployment
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #2 – Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #3 – User Profiles
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #4 – HA Profiles
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #5 – User Experiences
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #6 – Web Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #7 – Scale-Out
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #8 – WVD Azure ADDS
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #9 – WVD Diagnostics
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #10 – WVD Automation
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #11 – WVD Monitoring
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #12 – WVD Update Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #13 – WVD MSIX App Attach
Microsoft Partner Network
While every partner’s journey is different, following these steps will enable you to innovate faster, better support customers, and get guidance on the next Windows Virtual Desktop opportunity for your business.
- Windows Virtual Desktop Sales and Business Value Fundamentals
- Windows Virtual Desktop solution brief
- Windows Virtual Desktop slide deck
- Other useful Microsoft Partner Resources
WVD Architectural – Planning Poster
The Remote Desktop Services team has created a poster to help you plan, build, and run your Windows Virtual Desktop environment.
There are currently no Microsoft Certifications specific to Windows Virtual Desktop available. To get certified on this specific topic, I’d personally recommend you to pass (at least) the following related certifications below:
Pro tip: Are you attending Ignite the Tour soon? Make sure to take advantage and claim your free exam here.
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Associate
I hope these links will help you to educate yourself on Windows Virtual Desktop.
Thank you very much for stopping by.