THANK YOU – that’s probably the best, or only way to start this blog. We (= myself and Bas van Kaam) started the Byte-Sized book project back in January and we never expected this amount of attention and help from the community (of course, we hoped for it).
“ Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much! ” – Helen Keller
Most (community) projects, start small – a did we. We had no real expectations or hard targets except that we aimed for at least 125 – 150 pages to be able to publish a paperback version of the book as well. The amount of interest and contributions exceeded all of our expectations, to say the least. Throughout the last couple of months we were overwhelmed with the amount of (awesome) content around Cloud – as you will soon find out for yourself.
Next, to the contributions, we also created a fun survey around the cloud. All results will be listed near the end of the book.
Once more – Why this Cloud Community (Book) project?
We, as community participants know how valuable it can be to share with others what we have learned and picked up during our careers. That’s how we all get better, smarter, more effective and efficient at what we do daily. And more importantly, it’s fun, we all need a hobby, right?
Throughout the year we spend a great deal of time studying, testing, breaking, and fixing stuff, helping and assisting customers, peers, colleagues, often working late, traveling, attending conferences, webinars, and so on. It would be a waste to keep it all to ourselves…
The information shared in the book will be valuable to everyone working with Cloud solutions/services or is thinking about doing so!
Just some numbers…
As you can see, we are excited about this. To give you an impression why, we’d like to share some of our statistics with you.
- Contributions came in from all over the globe. We had 100+ contributors from 20 different countries, which we think is truly awesome.
- Altogether, the total number of submissions easily surpassed 100, which resulted in 300+ physical pages. Some even contributed multiple times.
- It took us about 8 hours per week on average, starting January second 2019 to get to the end result you have before you today.
- Bas and I exchanged around 3500 messages throughout the last couple of months, using Slack that is – and still counting. Combined with five face to face meetings in between.
- The book consists of 50.000+ words, which includes submissions, names, websites, Twitter handles, LinkedIn addresses, and so on.
- Our project featured on the Citrix MyCUGC community blog page, which was awesome.
- We starred in three podcasts: the Login TechCast, ITProTV, and the Come Get IT (coming up shortly) podcast.
- We loved every minute of it.
- Obviously, there is a lot more to share…
You can check the rest of the statistics in the final book!
Hall of fame
To give you another small teaser what content to expect in the book, and as well an early appreciation to our contributions. See below all the people who contributed to Byte-Sized. We are proud of this list.
To all our Byte-Sized community contributors
The paperback version of the book will be released on the 7th of June during the Experts 2 Experts Virtualization Conference (E2EVC) in Berlin, Germany.
We’ll make sure to write up and publish a blogpost with all the important information and order specifics of Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
Further, after a month or so (maybe two) – we’ll create a free digital version of the book as well.
YOU are also donating to charity by buying the book!
Preferably, we wanted to donate to a cause that has a close connection to what we do, day in, day out. Well, we think we succeeded. The main goal of the ‘One Laptop Per Child’ foundation, or OLPC, in short, is to empower the children of developing countries to learn by providing one connected laptop to every school-age child. Read more about our charity initiative here.
We’ll put 1,5 or 2 Dollars/Euro’s on top of the final list-price, which we will donate to the above-mentioned cause. We expect it to be in the range of 6 to 10 Euro’s / Dollars.
With that, we again want to say…
THANK YOU to everyone!
That’s it for now, we hope to see most of you during the E2EVC event in Berlin during the release, which will be on Friday afternoon around 12:40 (though, with Alex you never know, slots an change at any time) – or at any other community or business event soon.
Follow us on Twitter here to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest Byte-Sized announcements.
All the best,
Christiaan and Bas
WE ARE READY FOR LAUNCH IN…
|[waiting name=”Byte-Sized Countdown”]|